Buckinghamia celsissima plant profile
A medium to large native tree, Buckinghamia celsissima is better known as the ‘Ivory curl tree’. Best suited to tropical to sub tropical gardens this is a tree that can be grown in temperate climates given a warm protected position.
Although a little rare, the fragrant flowering Buckinghamia celsissima is grown commercially.
Buckinghamia celsissima requires a frost free environment and will reach 8-10m in cultivation in an open position, taller in it native habitat.
Glossy green foliage with a silver underside and masses of long lasting creamy white flowers in late spring to summer.
Relatively fast growing and preferring well drained humus rich soil Buckinghamia celsissima (Ivory Curl Flower) makes a good specimen tree.
Buckinghamia ferruginiflora is another species, also from Northern Queensland, this species is a rare species not readily available.
Buckinghamia celsissima – Summary Information
- Height – Over time this tree can reach 20 metres in height. In cultivation usually much smaller. The cooler the climate the smaller the tree, even in Sydney height will usually be restricted to a tall shrub.
- Spread – Will form a broad spreading rounded crown in open areas.
- Position – For landscaping, best in full sun, it is a tree that will tolerant some shade.
- Growth Rate – Regarded as fast to medium.
- Foliage – Glossy mid to light green. New foliage tinged with pink.
- Flowers – Fragrant creamy coloured flowers that will cover the tree when in full bloom.
- Flowering period – Summer.
In an open sunny position, this is a tree that naturally forms a nice shape. It does take well to pruning if the size needs to be restricted.
WHOLESALE BUCKINGHAMIA CELSISSIMA NURSERIES
189 Sarabah Road, Sarabah QLD 4275
07 55435808 / 0419024516
Wholesale nursery specialising in quality advanced trees & shrubs from 300mm to 150L. Specialists in tree and shrub supply for Urban development and revegetation programmes also contract growing to specifications. We supply & deliver all states.