One of the popular ‘Living Stones’, Lithops karasmontana is a low growing clump forming species.
This is one of those succulents included in the Mesembs that is easy to fall in love with, and many people start a collection.
Best described as looking like two pattered stones. The leaves are grey to brown and mottled in appearance. The flowers are white and appear in late summer to fall.
The flowers appear between the two section of foliage, forcing their way up and splitting them in two.
It makes a great specimen plant in a container and is easy to grow if you follow a few simple steps.
Lithops karasmontana Care
- Growing Medium.
You will need to ensure that the growing medium or soil mix has excellent drainage. Use a general purpose succulent mix with around 40% extra coarse stone or pumice mixed through.
Light is really important for all Lithops. A good 6 hours each day of bright light with some direct sun. This does not mean full afternoon sun in warmer climates as this can cause burning.
When in active growth (Spring through Summer), a deep watering every 10 days should be suitable. In winter, Lithops need to be kept fairly dry.
If you repot each year, and you should, an application a slow release fertiliser such as Osmocote should be sufficient.
How to grow Lithops karasmontana
- Step 1: You will need a pot that is around twice as deep as the root system on the plant. Lithops send down a tap root and this need room to grow. A good drainage hole is essential.
- Step 2: Place some mesh over the drainage hole to prevent the growing medium from falling through.
- Step 3: Half fill the pot with a free draining cactus and succulent mix with extra drainage material mixed through.
- Step 4: Place a little slow release fertiliser on top of this layer of soil.
- Step 5: Gently place the plant in the container, backfilling around with the soil mix.
- Step 6 : Do not water for 7 – 10 days
- Step 7: Water well after 7 – 10 days
General Care Information.
The main problem that occurs is overwatering, usually this is because of poor driving pots or potting mix.
The growing medium MUST be allowed to dry between waterings.
Humid condition are a second factor, good airflow is essential.
A number of forms are available all with differing foliage colours.
Lithops karasmontana isavailable for sale from the following nurseries and growers
Specialist succulent grower with a large range of Echeveria and other succulent genera, including rare and unusual varieties for the collector.
Online Retail Sales www.succulents-australia-sales.com