Used widely as an indoor plant and readily available for sale Sansevieria species such S. trifasciata, S. cylindrica, S. hahnii and S. laurentii are popular for the air purifying qualities.
A widely used species is Sanseviera laurentii, pictured right.
Way back in 1989 NASA performed some trial to test the efficiency of plants in purifying air in buildings Sanseviera trifascata was one of the better performers in this trial.
- Sanseviera trifasciata are sometimes called ‘mother-in-law’s tongue’ or ‘snake skin plant’ because of its long tongue like leaves and the patterned foliage. Grown for their foliage Sanseviera make a good indoor plant.
- S. hahnii is called the ‘Dwarf Mother In Law Tongue’ and with its fan like foliage
- S. Cylindrica sometimes get the name “Fansevieria”.
- S. Schweinfurthii – Pencil thin green leaves and very upright in growth habit.
- S. aubrytiana – Mottled green and cream leaves, upright to 60 – 70 cm, similar to S. kirkii but with flatter leaves.
- Sanseviera sp. – ‘Pink Bat’ – Thick mottled foliage said to be a form of Sansevieria hallii.
Grown mainly for the foliage although they do have fragrant flowers as well, and the indestructible nature, yes they are a drought resistant, and almost entirely disease free and pest free plant they grow well in a range of conditions from full sun to low light indoors. The range of plant forms and foliage is widely appreciated by landscapers.
Sanseriera plants and species are available for sale from the following nurseries
(Succulents and Friends) Home to a variety of Succulents and Cacti plants including: Aloe, Crassula, Echeveria, Gasteria, Haworthia, Kalanchoe, Pachyveria, Sansevieria, Sedum and many more.
Succulent nursery for drought hardy plants. Includes: Adenium, Agave, Alluadia, Aloe, Anecampseros, Crassula, Euphorbia, Gasteraloe, Haworthia, Kalanchoe, Ledebouria, Portulacaria, Sedum, Senecio and many others.
132 Silver Valley Rd. MS 415 Mt.Garnet QLD 4872
Australia's largest collection & specialist breeders of world class frangipani cultivars & rare species. Includes Dwarf cultivars. Mail order specialists Australia & worldwide. Australia's biggest range of the Worlds best frangipani.
Sansevieria Species include:
- S. kirkii
- S. hyacinthoides
- S. suffruticosa
- S. pinguicula
- S. scabrifolia
- S. ehrenbergii