A species that naturally grows at higher altitudes in Mexico, Salvia semiatrata has interesting tubular like flowers, lavender in colour with violet markings and a contrasting dusky magenta calyce.
Care and Planting
- Plant in full sun with a little afternoon shade.
- A humus rich well drained soil is preferred.
- Dig in some well rotted compost and cow manure before planting.
- Plant at the same depth it was in the container.
- Water in with a little liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
Water in summer over long dry periods.
Pruning Salvia semiatrata
This is a taller growing species and can reach 2 metres (6ft) in height however is easily pruned like most salvia varieties.
Its natural growth habit is a little untidy, so pruning is required and indeed it can be cut right back the base of the plant in winter or early spring.
Usually from cuttings taken in spring to early summer, also possible to propagate from seed.
- Botanical Name – Salvia semiatrata
- Common Name ‘The Fairy Rose’
- Position – Full sun to a little shade
- Soil – Humus rich well drained
- Flowers – Lavender Blue with Violet..
- Flowering Tine – Spring through summer into autumn depending on climate
- Frost tolerant – Medium
SSalvia semiatrata is available for sale online from the following nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."