Tiger Lily or Lilium Lancifolium
Tiger Lilies or Lilium Lancifolium (syn tigrinium). This is the Orange red Turkscap Lilium known widely as the ‘Tiger Lily’. Dark spots or markings on the flower or stem and reflexed petals.
Tiger Lilies can produce 20 – 40 flowers on the tall stems. Generally a hardy and long lived lilium that does well in a range of conditions. Will reach well over 1m and flowers late in the season Feb – March. Tiger Lilies can easily be growm in pots or containers, avoid areas exposed to strong winds. Lilium Lancifolium (Tiger Lily) bulbs can be planted from winter to early spring.
Tiger Lilies grow well in full sun to semi shade and do best in a humus rich well drained soil, however the ‘Tiger Lily’ will cope in a range of conditions.
Lilium lancifolium(Tiger Lily) comes in a range of forms including :
- Lilium lancifolium var splendens has larger flowers but is shorter stemmed.
- Lilium lancifolium var flaviflorum is a yellow flowering species
- Lilium Lancifolium Rubrum is the red tiger lily.
- Lilium Lancifolium Flore Pleno is a pink and maroon spotted double
- others include Lilium lancifolium var. fortueni
Propagation can be achieved by taking tiny bulbils from the stem axils and planting them out. Usually flower in 2nd – 3rd year
Tiger Lilies are commonly found in older gardens across Australia. In Asia they are said to represent wealth and pride.
The confusion with tiger lilies is the other species that also carry the name and these include:
- Lilium columbianum – Columbia Lily or Tiger Lily
- Lilium henryi – Tiger Lily or Henry’s lily is perhaps not as heavily spotted
- Lilium parvum – Sierra tiger lily or Alpine lily has more star shaped flowers
- Lilium superbum – Swamp lily or American tiger lily
You May Also Be Interested In
Tiger Lily Bulbs are available for sale from the the folowing Nurseries
400 Huon Rd South Hobart TAS 7004
Cool climate bulbs for the collector and the gardener. Wide range of crocus, cyclamen, galanthus and fritillaria in Australia
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order