Paint Brush Lilly, or Blood Lily
A strange and wonderful late summer flowering plant, Haemanthus coccineus is commonly called the Paint Brush Lilly
The flowers appear on bare stems with no foliage. You know when they are about to flower as the top of the large bulbs split, a shoot is sent up and then the blood red paintbrush like flower appears.
After the flowers die back you need to wait until autumn for the large strap-like foliage to appear, and this lasts well through winter and spring.
A number of other Haemanthus species are also worth growing.
In a well drained soil this is very easy care bulb. It flowers reliably for us every year. We use very little fertiliser, and never water them unless we have a very dry winter.
They grow well in the ground as well as in containers.
These are very easy bulbs to propagate by division and also possible from seed. Seed needs to be fresh and sown directly after collection.
You can divide them every 5 – 6 years which will improve the growth.
No pruning is required, simply remove the dead foliage.
- Botanical Name – Haemanthus coccineus
- Botanical Family – Amaryllidaceae
- Common Name – Paint Brush Lilly, or Blood Lily
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Climate zone – Cool to warm Temperate. Not suited to sub tropical or tropical areas.
- Soil – Well drained to dry, best in a sandy soil with some moisture through summer.
- Height – To around .6 metres.
- Spread – To around .8 metres across when in full foliage.
- Growth Rate – Medium
- Flowers – Brilliant Orange Red.
- Flowering Time – Summer
- Foliage – Large deep green scrappy leaves.
- Frost tolerant – Yes.
- Drought tolerant -Yes.
Haemanthus bulbs are available for sale form the following nurseries
Specialising in Rare and Unusual Peonies (American, Chinese, Japanese, Herbaceous & Itoh) and Brugmansia's. We also sell (hard to find) plants and bulbs.
Farm sales from September to December or by appointment (Marie) 0416 166 397
View us on eBay www.ebay.com.au/str/josies-joy for Mail Order
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au