With dark deeply divided foliage and knockout luminous yellow flowers Dahlia Mystic Illusion is also easy care.
The contrast between the flowers and foliage is perfect, and this is a neat growing dahlia that does not require staking, and it can be grown in the garden it also makes an excellent Dahlia to grow in pots or containers.
In the garden plant Mystic Illusion as a feature plant, or even mass plant it for a long display of flowers and foliage.
Flowering time is early summer and with regular deadheading you will get second and even third flushes of those brilliant yellow flowers.
How to Grow Dahlia Mystic Illusion
Depending on the climate and soil drainage you can either leave the tuber in the ground or dig them for storage over winter. In zones with cold wet winters, dig them and store them, in warmer zones they should survive winters in the ground.
- Choose a sunny position and a moist well drained soil.
- Prepare the soil by adding well rotted compost and cow manure.
- Wait until after the last frosts to plant the tubers.
- The tubers are planted at around 10cm deep.
- Water in well and mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Watch out for snails which may eat the new shoots.
- Water during dry periods.
- A little liquid fertiliser in early summer and again in late summer will be beneficial.
Choose pots and containers that are at least 18 inches deep and 12inches in diameter.
- Extra fertilizer in summer will help promote good foliage growth and better tuber growth.
- Dead head to promote more flowers.
- Allow the foliage to die back before digging tubers.
- Store tubers in a cool dry position over winter.
Dahlia Mystic Illusion is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
Other Dahlias in the Mystic series include:
- Mystic Wonder – Red Flowering
- Mystic Haze – Apricot Orange flowers fading to pale yellow.
- Mystic Sparkler – Pink petals fading to Yellow
- Mystic Fantasy – Soft Pink fading to yellow.
- Mystic Spirit – Pale apricot to peach colored flowers.
- Mystic Enchantment – Bright Red flowers