This is a low growing tuft forming perennial, good green foliage and Stylidium graminifoliumalso has fascinating pink flowers from spring into summer.
The flowers have a unique pollination mechanism triggered by insects. The insects trigger the flower to spring into action and deposit pollen on the insect. The insect will them spread the pollen onto other flowers.
This is a great plant for growing in a rock garden and also suited to growing in containers. Although classed as an evergreen plant, occasionally the plant will seem to die back, it disappears underground. Leave it alone and it usually come back to life.
Plant Stylidium graminifolium in a sunny position in a well drained soil. Part shade is suitable and a slightly acidic soil is best.
A little native plant fertiliser once a year in spring may be beneficial in poorer soils.
In long dry periods we recommend some supplements watering, never allowing the soil to become wet and soggy.
- Botanical Name – Stylidium graminifolium
- Common Name – Grass Trigger.
- Family – Stylidiaceae
- Height – Around .3 metres.
- Spread – To around .1- .4 metres as it forms a clump over time.
- Position – Full Sun to a little afternoon shade.
- Soil – Well drained and moist.
- Flowers – Pink.
- Flowering Time – Spring through summer.
- Foliage – Mid green and grass like.
- Frost tolerant – Light to medium frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – Medium, some extra moisture is required during long dry period.
Stylidium graminifolium or Grass Trigger Plant is available for sale from the following nurseries
1190-1196 Mt Dandenong Tourist Road Kalorama, VIC 3766
At the rear of the Kalorama Memorial Reserve – Native garden with small nursery attached.