The ‘Grape’ or ‘Fuchsia’ Grevillea
Also known as the ‘Grape’ or ‘Fuchsia’ Grevillea, in its natural habit Grevillea bipinnatifida is a prostrate ground cover plant. Over recent years it has been grafted to form a very attractive weeping standard plant.
A native to western Australia, this species has also been widely used in hybridisation. Growing best in full sun in a well drained soil, the flowers a good size and an attractive fuchsia to red in colour.
This is not a frost tolerant species, however it will recover from frost damage over time as it does have a lignotuber that aids this process.
As a ground cover plant, or as a standard plant used as a feature Grevillea bipinnatifida offers the gardener the best of both worlds.
- Choose a position in full sun and with a well drained soil.
- If soil is not well drained, amend to improve drainage or try hilling up the soil to improve the drainage.
- Water in well after planting. If you are growing a standardised Grevillea bipinnatifida we suggest that install a permanent support stake.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Tip prune after flowering to maintain a more compact habit, especially on the standardised types.
- Fertilise in spring with a native plant fertiliser.
- Botanical Name – Grevillea bipinnatifida
- Common Names – Grape Grevillea or Fuchsia Grevillea.
- Position – Full Sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Height – Will reach around .4 of a metre
- Spread – will spread to 2 metres as a ground cover
- Flowers – Fuchsia pink to red
- Foliage – Mid green and prickly.
- Flowering period – The Main flowering period is in winter to spring, however Grevillea bipinnatifida will flower through the year in good conditions.
This wonderful species has been used in hybridisation and is a parent of the famous ‘Grevillea Robyn Gordon’ as well ‘Grevillea Superb’ and many others.
Available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order