If you are looking for a flowering hedge then Callistemon ‘Western Glory’ could be worth trying. It had good green foliage year round, it is long flowering and very easy care.
The flowers appear near the tips of the stems and will attract bees, birds and beneficial insects to the garden.
It can be pruned after flowering to help maintain a more compact habit and planted around 1 metre apart will form a good hedge fairly quickly.
It will tolerate damp conditions for short periods, however good drainage is best.
Grow it as a feature plant for the flowers, or use its a hedge or border background plant in a native or cottage style garden.
- Dig a planting hole twice as wide as the container
- Plant at the same depth as the plant was in the container.
- Backfill and water in well.
- Mulch lightly around the plant.
- Water occasionally through the first summer.
- Use a native plant fertiliser once a year in spring.
- Prune lightly after flowering.
- Botanical Name – Callistemon citrinus ‘Western Glory’ (syn. Melaleuca “Western Glory”)
- Common Name – Callistemon ‘Western Glory’
- Position – Full Sun to a little shade
- Soil – Humus rich and well drained.
- Height – Will reach 2 – 4 metres in height
- Spread – To around 2 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium.
- Flowers – Brilliant red.
- Flowering Time – Winter to spring and summer.
- Foliage Mid green.
- Frost tolerant – Light frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – Yes once established.
Callistemon ‘Western Glory’ is available for sale from the following nurseries
Native grasses, sedges, rushes, lilies, wetland plants, ornamental grasses and grass trees. Contract growing. Cells, tubes and pots. Contemporary water wise garden solutions and revegetation specialists. Unique garden decor, pots and original sculptures. Delivery available. www.plantsandlandscapes.com.au