With tall upright golden yellow flowers Banksia Yellow Wing is a medium sized shrub that can fit into many garden designs. The foliage is a good green and the flowers are long lasting.
The flowers are not only attractive they also help bring nectar seeking birds as well as bees to the garden. As this is a reasonably low growing variety it can be planted near the front of the garden border where the flowers can be appreciated to the fullest.
In a well drained soil and a sunny position this is an easy care plant.
In areas where drainage is poor try hilling up the soil a little to raise the plant.
After planting water in lightly and provide a little additional water through dry periods over the first summer. A light mulch around the plant will be beneficial by providing a cool root run.
Pruning is minimal, any dead branches can be removed, spent flower heads can also be removed although many gardeners leave these as an added interest.
- Botanical Name – Banksia Yellow Wing
- Common Name – Banksia Yellow Wing
- Family – Proteaceae
- Origins – Western Australia
- Height – To around 1.5 – 2 metres.
- Spread To around 1.5 – 2 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium
- Position – Full Sun to afternoon shade.
- Soil – Well drained
- Flowers – Orange to yellow.
- Flowering Time – Winter to Summer
- Foliage – Mid to deep green.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Yes