With the common name of Firewood Banksia, Banksia Menziesii is available in two forms, a tall shrub or tree or a dwarf form. With large cone shaped flowers an orange to red in colour, and good textured foliage this makes a great garden plant, especially the smaller growing forms.
The taller form will reach up to 10 metres in height (30ft). the dwarf or prostrate form will reach around 1 metre which makes it a more useful garden plant for many.
The taller form can be pruned, this is a species with a lignotuber, so it can be coppiced and will reshoot. This is where the common name of Firewood Banksia comes from.
In an open sunny position and a well drained soil this is an easy plant to grow.
Once established this is a drought tolerant plant with attractive flowers. The lignotuber, means it can be copiced to promote new growth, more flowers and maintain a smaller size.
Generally from seeds.
- Botanical Name – Banksia menziesii
- Common Names – Firewood Banksia
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Well drained, deep sandy soils are best.
- Height – To 10 metres. Dwarf varieties are available.
- Spread – To 3 – 5 metres .
- Flowers – Pink to an Orange/Red cone like.
- Flowering time – From autumn to winter.
- Foliage – Serrated grey/green.
- Frost tolerant – Yes, medium frosts
- Drought tolerant – Yes once established.
Banksia menzeisii is available from the following nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."