Formerly known as Dryandra formosa or ‘Showy Dryandra’ and now as Banksia formosa, this is a species that lives up to its common name with very attractive (showy) flowers.
Another wonderful plant from the South West of Western Australia this is a medium sized shrub that can reach 3 metres in height.
It will grow well in coastal conditions with sandy soils in a position from full sun to part shade, however not deep shade.
The flowers are yellow to orange in colour large and nestles down into the foliage, they make excellent cut flowers.
The leaves are a mid green, narrow with silvery white felted reverse. The leaf margins are of a saw tooth formation, so lots going on with the foliage as well as the flowers.
Like most Banksia/ Dryandra species this is a plant that does respond well to pruning and this helps make it an excellent garden plant. The best time to prune is immediately after flowering.
How to Grow Banksia formosa
- Choose a sunny position and a well drained soil.
- Dig the soil over well before planting and amend heavy clay soils to improve drainage.
- Plant at the same level that it was in the container
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer.
- Mulch around the plant lightly.
- Water during dry periods over the first few summers.
- Prune regularly after flowering.
Where to Buy
Try the following nurseries
- Goldfields Revegetation Nursery – VIC
- Muchea Tree Farm – WA
- Southern Flora -WA