If you are looking for a native hedging plant, Lilly Pilly ‘Forest Flame’ is one to consider. Brilliant new red growth is a feature, and its easy care nature makes it suitable for a range of garden applications.
Best suited as a low growing hedge to around 1.5 metres in height, it has a dense growth habit and the small leaves make it easy to prune.
It will grow well in full sun topiary shade and prefers a humus rich well drained soil. It can also be used for topiary, a a background plant in the garden border or even grown in containers.
This is one of the many Lilly Pilly Varieties suited to garden Use.
Care and Planting
- Prepare the soil well before plating, adding some compost and aged cow manure if needed.
- Plant at the same depth as it was in the container.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
Acmena smithii ‘Forest Flame’ Planting Distance
For a hedge, plant at around .3 of a metre apart. A hedge width or around 1 metre or a little more is ideal.
- Botanical Name – Acmena smithii ‘Forest Flame’
- Common Name – Lilly Pilly ‘Forest Flame’
- Height – Will reach 2 – 3 metres, usually pruned to 1.5 metres.
- Spread – Usually pruned to 1.5 metres or less.
- Growth Rate – Medium to fast.
- Foliage – Green, new growth is a good red.
- Frost Tolerant – Medium
- Drought Tolerant – Medium.
Available from the following Nurseries
Phone: 0411 435 314
Online Retailer of Landscaping Plants, large quantities of small pot sizes up to advanced sizes & plant Sourcing.
SYDNEY | NORTHERN NSW | GOLD COAST | BRISBANE | MELBOURNE | ADELAIDE