One of the best low growing Lilly Pillies, Acmena smithii ‘Allyn Magic’ makes great border plant and is also Psyllid resistant.
As a native hedging plant is easy to prune as the foliage is reasonably small and can be grown in containers so it could be used as a patio plant. It will flower in summer with small white flowers that attract bees and birds to the garden. The flowers are followed by small berries.
In a well drained humus rich soil, Acmena smithii ‘Allyn Magic’ is a very easy care plant.
- Dig the soil over well adding a little well rotted compost to poorer soils.
- Plant at the same depth it was in the container.
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run and prevent weeds.
- Prune in spring before the new foliage shoots.
- Use a specialist native plant fertiliser in spring to maintain good foliage.
If you are planting Acmena smithii ‘Allyn Magic’ as a low hedge, plant at around 50cm apart to 80cm apart depending on the effect required.
- Botanical Name – Acmena smithii ‘Allyn Magic’
- Common Names – Lilly Pilly ‘Allyn Magic’
- Position – Full Sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich, moist and well drained.
- Height – To around .6 – .8 metres
- Spread – To around 1 metre.
- Growth Rate – medium
- Foliage – Green with new foliage orange to red.
- Flowers – Small white flowers
- Fruits – Small pink berries.
- Flowering Time – Summer
- Frost tolerant – Yes, light frosts are OK.
- Drought Tolerant – Yes once established
Available from the following nurseries
Phone: 0411 435 314
Online Retailer of Landscaping Plants, large quantities of small pot sizes up to advanced sizes & plant Sourcing.
SYDNEY | NORTHERN NSW | GOLD COAST | BRISBANE | MELBOURNE | ADELAIDE