Glow Wattle or Panjang
With masses of golden yellow flowers from winter into spring, Acacia lasiocarpa comes in two forms, and it is the prostrate form most widely used in landscaping.
Over time, it will form a dense ground cover and, when in full flower, presents with a carpet of golden yellow for weeks on end.
How To Grow Glow Wattle
You will need well-drained soil and a sunny position to grow Acacia lasiocarpa. It will grow in a little afternoon shade but not deep shade.
This species does not grow well in humid climates or tropical areas.
Its natural habitat is in sandy coastal areas of southern eastern Australia. It is best planted where it will not be in competition with taller growing species.
Generally not required.
Usually, seeds will need to be scarified to promote germination.
- Botanical name – Acacia lasiocarpa
- Common name – Panjang or Glow Wattle
- Family – Fabaceae
- Position – Full sun to a little shade
- Soil – Well drained
- Height – To around 30cm for prostrate variety
- Spread – To around 1.5m
- Growth rate – Medium
- Foliage – Mid-green
- Flowers – Golden yellow balls
- Flowering time – Winter to spring
- Frost tolerant – Mild frosts only until established
- Drought tolerant – Yes, once established