Paving stones suited to garden use come in a range of materials and prices (see pictures below), interlocking and even hand made pavers are available at a price. Concrete, stone, pool, brick and flagstone pavers, the choice is huge.
- Before laying pavers or paving stones it is essential to plan the project.
- Choosing the right pavers for the project is important, you need to determine the type of traffic, pedestrian traffic will have less stringent requirements than vehicular traffic.
- When installing, drainage is important, and preparation of the base to lay the pavers on is the key to a successful job. Usually a sub base of road metal and then a bedding base of sand. To prevent pavers from moving or creeping, some form of stable garden edging is required.
Types of Pavers and stones for outdoor use.
Now available in a huge range of materials and colors. Paving materials include:
- Concrete – Cheap and hard wearing.
- Paving stones for setting into a lawn or path.
- Brick pavers – Used bricks are an economical alternative.
- Interlocking types can be easy to lay, create a natural pattern, and eliminate movement to some extent .
- Natural stone looks great in the right setting, it can be expensive.
- Artificial stone pavers, looking very similar to the natural stone, however cheaper to buy.
- Tile or ceramic provide a gloss finish however you may need non slip.
Paving stone costs vary greatly depending on material.
Prices for concrete types start at around $40 – $45 per m2 usually priced by the pallet. Natural stone, brick and interlocking types will cost more up to $95 per m2 and more.
Laying Pavers requires some planning but in many home applications can easily be carrie d out as DIY project. All reputable paver suppliers will supply specifications and instructions that relate to the specific type of paver you will be using.
Large Garden paving stones for example may be laid directly into levelled and prepared positions in a lawn to create an informal pathway. A sand base will still need to be used, however this can easily be a DIY job for many people.
Pool Pavers will require specialist laying techniques and laying pool pavers is best left to experienced contractors.
Pavers can also be used for edging. This can be providing a distinct edge to a large paved area by laying edging pavers in a different pattern. Edging pavers can also be used to define garden and lawn edges.
Garden Pavers are available for sale from the following suppliers
Online and Retail Melbourne and Geelong based garden centres. Check out their large range of indoor and outdoor plants, Australian Natives, Fruit Trees and Edibles, Succulents, Gardenias, Camellias, Hydrangeas plus a full range garden products for delivery in Melbourne.
Slate & Stone Products are Queensland's largest importer and distributor of natural stone tiles, pavers and cladding.
105 Park Road Slacks Creek QLD 4127
phone: 07 3442 2555 fax: 07 3442 2599