Garden Mulch and Manure for Brisbane
Garden mulch, manure and compost are wonderful additions to the raised garden beds that are popular across Brisbane and Queensland in general.
However before applying mulch determine what type you are really after. A ground cover mulch will be open and coarse to allow water to penetrate. This type of mulch is often supplied in its raw state, fresh and green. This is not a suitable mulch for gardens as it will draw nitrogen from the soil, so look for a properly composted mulch for garden beds.
- Mulch is different to compost and should not be confused, although you can have a ‘composted mulch’, compost itself is not used and mulch, this is a finer material that is added to the soil as a conditioner, and is dug into the soil.
So for a ground cover mulch, look for a coarse grade that has been aged and has a low proportion of fine material.
Soil conditioners include fine mulch and compost and should be dug into the soil.
Most good garden centres are also suppliers of bulk sugar cane mulch, mushroom compost, horse, cow and sheep manure including red gum and pine bark mulch.
- Mulch, compost and manure in Brisbane are all important contributors to soil conditioning and water retention in Brisbane soils. Mulch compost and manure replenish impoverished soils as well as adding add structure to sandy or clay soils and assisting in water retention.
- Mulch need to be applied carefully so as not to be placed against the trunks of trees and shrubs where it can cause rotting.
- Manures need to well rotted before applying, especially those high it nitrogen.
- Compost may be obtained from your own compost bin, or from garden supply centers listed below.
Best Practices for using Mulch in Brisbane.
- It is important in hot and humid climates to keep mulch away from the collar or stem of a plant. This will help prevent rot.
- When using organic mulches, use one that is aged. Green mulch can pull nitrogen from the soil.
- Thick dense layers of mulch can can prevent oxygen from getting to the soil and tree roots.
473 Miles Platting Rd Rochedale Brisbane 4123
Specializing in fruit trees, including apple trees, citrus, avocado, mango, olive, macadamia, lychee, pawpaw and others. Also herbs and edibles.
300 Oxley Drive Coombabah QLD 4216
Located on the north end of the Gold Coast at Runaway Bay. The 6 acre site is home to Queensland's biggest & best garden centre. Selling in volume direct to the public. Focus on top quality both in our plant & pot ranges.