When looking for deciduous trees for Perth and WA in general it is best to remember that some of the species that grow well in the eastern states are not all that suited to Perths’ soil and climate.
The Pyrus calleryana cultivars are one group that seem to do well once established, wonderful flowering trees with great autumn colour. The Chinese elm is another, lacking the flowers, but a strong growing deciduous tree.
One of the best deciduous trees for Perths climate is the good old Crepe Myrtle, Lagerstoemia induce, masses of flowers and not to large, well suited to the home garden.
The Poinciana (Delonix regia) with its brilliant red flowers that appear just as the tree begins to drop its foliage is another, a great shade tree for the summer. And of course the Jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia) with its masses of purple flowers from spring through summer seems to thrive in Perth.
Some but not all, of the Maples also do well in Perth, Acer negundo seems to go well as does the ‘Listick’ Maple (Acer rubrim)
Growing deciduous trees in Perth and WA
Now all of this depends where you are growing them, soil, exposure to wind and if you are lucky enough to be a little further south. Many other deciduous trees will survive well with a little care, some watering during summer and perhaps being planted in a protected position. Ginkgo Biloba and some of the deciduous magnolias are well worth a try, in the right place.
List of deciduous trees with common names and approximate growing heights:
- Albizzia julibrissin Persian Silk Tree 5m
- Betula pendula Silver Birch 5 m
- Bauhinia blakeana Hong Kong Orchid Tree 6m
- Cercis siliqastrum Judas Tree 4m
- Cotinus coggygria (Smoke Bush) 3m
- Delonix regia (Poinciana) 8m
- Erythrina indica (Coral Flame Tree) 15m
- Fraxinus oxycarpa ‘Raywoodii’ Claret AshClaret Ash 10m
- Gleditsia tricanthos Honeylocust 16m
- Jacaranda mimosifolia (Jacaranda) 10m
- Liquidambar styraciflua (Liquidambar) 12m
- Melia azedarach (Cape Lilac) 12m
- Morus alba pendula (Weeping Mulberry) 3m
- Nyssa sylvatica (Tupelo) Cooler areas 11m
- Pistacia chinensis (Chinese Pistachio) 5m
- Prunus x blieriana (Double Flowering Plum) 4m
- Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (PurpleLeaf Plum) 4m
- Pulmeria( Frangipani) 3m
- Pyrus Capital (Ornamental Pear) 11m
- Pyrus calleryana Chanticleer (Ornamental Pear )11m
- Pyrus ussuriensis (Manchurian Pear) 6m
- Robinia pseudoacacia ‘Decaisneana’ (Pink Robinia) 8m
- Robinia pseudoacacia ‘Frisia’ (Golden Robinia) 10m
- Robinia ‘Mop Top'(Mop Top Robinia) 2m
- Sapium Sebiferum (Chinese Tallow) 7m
- Ulmus parvifolia (Chinese Elm) 10m