Bonsai for Melbourne
A number of nurseries selling bonsai plants service Melbourne, however we suggest that the specialist bonsai nurseries are the best place to start.
You can find some good specimens at local markets, however not all are well grown and back up service can be questionable.
Growing bonsai trees in Melbourne requires the same basics as anywhere else. Select the right plants for the climate is a good starting point.
In general Bonsai trees grown indoors are more difficult than those grown outdoors. Many growers will bring trees indoors for a few weeks and then rest them outdoors.
Some suitable bonsai species for Melbourne include:
- Japanese Maple trees – always a favourite
- Juniper species – easy as an outdoor bonsai, more difficult indoors
- Jade – One of the easier bonsai to start with, a traditional beginners plant, look for the small leafed varieties. Good indoors with strong filtered light
- Ficus – Generally a forgiving and easy tree, good for indoors but look for the small leafed varieties.
- Chinese Elm – The small foliage lends itself to making a good bonsai as does the root system which is fibrous and grows well around rocks
- Redwood – More difficult than some
- Cotoneaster – easy to grow and hard to kill, great for beginners
More Bonsai Nurseries Servicing Melbourne include :
BONSAI ISLAND – phone: 03 5956 6388 fax: 03 5956 6388
32 Phillip Island Road Newhaven Vic 3925
Bonsai Gallery & Sales Open every Sat & Sun 10am-5pm also by appointment
B for BONSAI – phone 0426 210 771
Bonsai trees, Japanese Black Pines, handmade bonsai and accent plant pots.
BONSAI FARM – 03 9819 0888
67 Little Church St Hawthorn 3122
ORIENT BONSAI – 03 9469 5026
11 Mahoneys Rd Reservoir Vic 3073