WHOLESALE LOQUAT NURSERIES
Loquat trees have been a popular evergreen tree in Australian gardens for many years, a medium sized tree with a broad spreading crown. Found widely in suburban and rural areas they are originally from China.
Grown for the fruit and also as an ornamental shade tree, they have large textured foliage and small flowers followed by round yellow edible fruit. The fruit is sweet, with a unique taste, similar to an apricot with a sharper flavour. It can be eaten fresh from the tree when ripe, stewed, turned into jams or made into preserves. Also used to make liqueurs and grappa, the seeds are inedible.
Although many seedling trees are available some named cultivars are also sold by wholesale growers.
- Loquat ‘Enormity – Very large fruit with excellent taste
- Loquat ‘Sewells Prolific – Very heavy cropping
- Loquat Nagasakiwase – Best for the amount of flesh to seed, ripens early.
- Loquat Thames Pride – A white fleshed variety that fruits early.
- Loquat Bessel Brown – Larger fruit than most, good flavour and skin that resists bruising.