Mandarin Trees or Citrus reticulata are a relatively small growing citrus grown for the small sweet fruit. With many varieties available for sale a few of the more popular include the Imperial mandarine and Emporer both with easy to peel skins. Imperial being early fruiting and Emperor more of a mid season tree. Other popular varieties include Ellendale and Honey Murcott
Care and Cultivation
Like most citrus trees Mandarin Trees prefer a sunny position in a well drained but moist soil. Mandarin trees can be grown in pots and containers.
A frost free position is required and a regular feed with a specialist citrus fertilizer will be sufficient , keep moist but not wet.
For the home garden the Emperor mandarin is one of the best we have seen, it seems to fruit over a longer period. This is a very good tree for a longer supply of fruit. Try to find a position in full sun and with protection from cold winds and frosts for best results.
Looking for something different ? Try the ‘dekopon’ or ‘sumo citrus’ mandarin. (Pictured Right) Developed in Japan and only recently arrived in Australia . The Depekon is not readily available in retail nurseries yet, it is seedless and easy to peel.
Mandarine Varieties available for sale.
- ‘Emperor’ has a pale orange skin that is easy to peel, great flavour and sweet especially early season and mid season, late season fruit tends to be a little dry. Loose skin that is very easy to peel.
- ‘Imperial’ Another ‘easy peel’ variety that is early season.
- ‘Satsuma Miho’ (Citrus unshiu ‘Miho’ ). Extra early, very sweet easy peeling smallish fruit from this slow growing variety. A great tree for smaller yards and can be grown in a pot or container.
- Mandarin Satsuma Okitsu Wase. Another excellent early variety, read about Mandarin Satsuma Okitsu Wase
- Honey Murcott is a variety that fruits late in the season, good taste and very sweet fruit, thin skin and a few pips, and not as easy to peel as others.
Mandarin Trees are available for sale online from the following growers and nurseries
Mail order fruit tree nursery with over 200 temperate climate fruit trees.
Heritage varieties and dwarf fruit trees. Apple Trees, Stone Fruit, Nut Trees and Berry Fruit.
Healthy, 100% Organic garden plants. Buy online, direct from grower. 100% satisfaction guarantee. Flat-rate postage QLD NSW VIC ACT SA & NT. Huge range of tropical & rare plants, fruit & edibles, trees, flowers, foliage & more.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
For Mandarin Trees for sale in QLD try form the following nurseries
300 Oxley Drive Coombabah QLD 4216
Located on the north end of the Gold Coast at Runaway Bay. The 6 acre site is home to Queensland's biggest & best garden centre. Selling in volume direct to the public. Focus on top quality both in our plant & pot ranges.