Although not widely grown Gooseberry plants are making a bit of a comeback. They are easy to grow and are excellent for making jams, jellies
The botanical name is Ribes uva-crispa and they are available in a few varieties, ‘Captivator’, being popular as it has less thorns. Green giant produces large green fruit. Roaring Lion is a good red fruiting variety..
They are a plant that grows best in cooler climates as they do require a winter chill to produce flower buds and therefore fruit.
These are a woody, bushy shrub that will grow in part shade and are best protected from winds.
Care and Planting
Step by Step basic care guide.
- Choose a part shaded position and a humus rich well drained soil.
- Dig in good amounts of compost and aged cow manure before planting.
- Weed the are well before planting.
- Plant at around 1.5 metres apart.
- Water in well.
- Mulch around the plants to help prevent weeds and retain moisture in the soil.
- Prune to a good open structure when young.
- Remove stems that touching the ground to help prevent disease.
- Fertilise with manure and a general purpose NPK fertiliser in spring.
Gooseberry plants are available from the following participating Nurseries
Mail order fruit tree nursery with over 200 temperate climate fruit trees.
Heritage varieties and dwarf fruit trees. Apple Trees, Stone Fruit, Nut Trees and Berry Fruit.