A low growing winter flowering shrub, Erica carnea is an excellent choice for the garden border, rock gardens as well as for growing in tubs.
It is at its best in full sun and a well drained soil, and in an open position where the colourful flowers can be seen at their best.
Lots of named varieties are available, different flower colours and some with different foliage. Flowers range from white through to pinks and near red.
Being an evergreen plant with masses of flowers when needed this is a great little plant that deserves more attention.
Erica carnea Varieties
- Erica carnea ‘Eileen Porter’ with its agents flowers is a standout.
- Erica carnea ‘Myretoun Ruby’ has dark rose pink flowers
- Erica carnea ‘Ruby Glow’ has attractive Ruby red flowers
- Erica carnea ‘Pink Pearl’ has pink and pearly white flowers.
- E. carnea ‘Springwood White’ has white flowers as the name suggests.
- E. carnea ‘Winter Rubin’ has translucent pink flowers.
How to grow Erica carnea
Prepare the soil well before planting, ensure that drainage is good and consider lifting the garden bed in poor drained soils.
This is plant that looks great when set against rocks, so consider that option.
Much well around the plant and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
Water through the first summer, once established this is a fairly drought tolerant plant.
Erica plants do not really need to be pruned, however, light to medium pruning after flowering can help maintain a more bushy habit. Do not prune back into old wood, always leave some of the current years growth on each stem.
Erica Carnea – Details and description
- Botanical Name – Erica carnea
- Common Name – Winter Heath
- Family – Ericaceae
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Height – to around 30cm
- Spread – To around 50cm
- Flowers – White to pink and red.
- Flowering Time – Winter
- Foliage – Evergreen.
- Soil – Best in a well drained slightly acidic soil although tolerant of most soils that are well drained.
- Fertilizer – Use a liquid fertiliser in spring in poorer soils..
Available for sale from the following participating nurseries
138 Olinda-Monbulk Rd, Olinda VIC 3788
"Large range of rare and unusual plants.."