The Rainbow Eucalyptus
A unique species from the Philippines, through Indonesia to New Guinea, Eucalyptus deglupta is referred to as the ‘Rainbow’ Eucalyptus for the color of its trunk and and also known as the Minandao Gum
It is a large growing tree originally from sub tropical to tropical areas, grown for timber and paper pulp it has become of interest in Australia as an ornamental tree.
It is the multi colored trunks that show deep red, orange and blue stripes, changing as the bark sheds during the year.
The tree is particularly attractive after rain, and if you are thinking of growing it in Australia it does require a frost free environment, however it is now grown as far south as Sydney, and could survive further south in the right location. In Melbourne it is problematical however example to exist in the Botanical Gardens .
The tree has a habit of peeling bark which reveals a white to pale green color, this ages to the ‘rainbow color’ which is so popular. The word delgupta means ‘to peel’ or ‘peeling skin’, and this is what gives the tree its botanical name as well as its outstanding trunk colour.
Two forms are available, a large leafed form and a small leafed form, neither have the typical eucalyptus fragrance to the foliage and this tree should not be confused with E. grandis.
The big issue is cold hardiness. Even in New South Wales, in the colder areas such as the southern highlands, in cold winters Eucalyptus deglupta can suffer from die back or worse.
- Botanical Name – Eucalyptus deglupta
- Common Name – Rainbow eucalyptus, Bagras eucalyptus, Minandao Gum.
- Climate – Tropical to sub tropical rainforest areas.
- Flower Colour – Creamy white.
- Flowering Time – Spring to early summer.
- Fragrance – Yes, flowers are very faintly perfumed.
- Foliage – Glossy green with simple opposite leaves.
- Growth rate – Fast.
- Growth Habit – Tall tree
- Height – To 40 metres plus
- Spread – To 10 plus metres.
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Soil – Humus rich with good drainage.
- Frost tolerance – Not suited to frost prone areas.
- Drought tolerance – Not suited to dry conditions.
- Pruning Time – Pruning is generally not required.
Eucalyptus deglupta is available for sale from the following growers
RAINBOW EUCALYPTUS AUSTRALIA – Phone 0417055645
21 Banksia Street Hill Top NSW 2575
Specialist Eucalyptus deglupta Rainbow Eucalyptus, Mindanaonnursery tube stock wholesale and retail.