A dwarf or low growing form Gardenia Radicans (picture right) are suited to use as a ground cover plant or low border plant and are readily available for sale. Species include Gardenia Augusta Radicans and Gardenia Jasminoides Radicans both prostrate forms.
These low growing plants are suitable for cooler climates and will produce flowers over an extended period although buds may not open during cold spells. Excellent as a border plant with nice green foliage year round. Gardenia radicans variegata is also avaialble.
Easily kept to a height of 0.5m the glossy foliage of Gardenia Radicans looks good all year round, the fragrant white flowers appear from Summer through to Autumn.
Varieties care and growing information
Gardenia Radicans varieties include : Gardenia Augusta Radicans, Gardenia Jasminoides Radicans and Gardenia radicans variegata. Gardenia augusta ‘Radicans’ is known as Creeping Gardenia.
A prostrate form that will grow to 40cm. However? this depends on the cultivar and with some confusion between Gardenia Augusta Radicans and Gardenia Jasminoides Radicans it is difficult to tell. Some have smaller leaves than others, and the smaller leaved forms are generally more dry tolerant.
Planting position and soil
Plant Gardenia Radicans in full sun to part shade, humus rich well drained soil, will flower during summer – autumn. A slightly acid soil and a frost free position.
- pruning generally not required
- mulch but do not disturb the roots
- keep moist but well drained
- good moring sun and protection from hot afternoon sun
- space well and give them room
- In deep shade Gardenia Radicans may not flower well
- Flower buds may drop if dry conditions occur during bud formation
- Yellow leaves – Usually caused by a magnesium deficiency, try a weak epsom salts solution, or a liquid seaweed fertilizer as a foliar application.
We use Harrys Gardenia Food seems to work wonders for us…..
Gardenia radicansare available for sale from the following nurseries
We offer a wide range of quality plants (seedlings to advanced trees) delivered straight to your door. No minimum required and quality assured. We deliver Victoria wide and can plant for you too.