Pure white flowers set against dark foliage and nearly black stems make Abutilon “Boule de Neige” quite a stunner in the garden.
Literally translated as ‘Bowl of Snow’ is how this wonderful white Chinese Lantern earns its name.
A hardy variety that will reach nearly 2.5m in height. Grows well in full sun to part shade.
This is an evergreen shrub that flowers prolifically from spring to autumn and in some areas throughout the year. The white flowers have a translucency that is a real lift in part shade.
How to Grow Abutilon Boule de Neige
- A humus-rich, well-drained soil.
- Full sun to part shade depending on climate, more shade in warmer, drier areas.
- Mulch well in spring to maintain moisture.
- Fertilise with a general-purpose fertiliser in spring. Water well before applying.
It is best pruned hard in spring if needed and can be tidied up a little in summer by tip pruning.
Pests and Diseases
Whitefly and scale can be minor problems, both easily controlled.
Links and Resources
- Abutilon “Boule de Neige”
- Abutilon x milleri
- Abutilon megapotamicum
- Abutilon ‘Nabob’ Photograph UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research
- Trailing Abutilon (Abutilon megapotamicum)
- Enkianthus campanulatus
Abutilon “Boule de Neige” is available for sale from the following nurseries
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.