With pure white flowers set against dark foliage and stems that are nearly black make Abutilon “Boule de Neige” a bit of a stunner in the garden.
Literally translated we have ‘Bowl of Snow’ and this wonderful white Chinese Lantern earns its name.
A hardy variety that will reach nearly 2.5m in height. Grows well in full sun to part shade.
This is an evergreen shrub that flowers prolifically from spring to autumn and in some areas throughout the year. The white flowers have a translucency that is a real lift in part shade.
- A humus rich well drained soil
- Full sun to part shade depending on climate, more shade in warmer drier areas
- Mulch well in spring to maintain moisture
- Fertilise with a general purpose fertiliser in spring, water well before applying
Best pruned hard in spring if needed and can be tidied up a little in summer by tip pruning if needed.
Pests and Diseases
Whitefly and scale can be minor problems, both easily controlled.
Links and Resources
- Abutilon “Boule de Neige”
- Abutilon x milleri
- Abutilon megapotamicum
- Abutilon ‘Nabob’ Photograph UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research’
- Trailing Abutilon (Abutilon megapotamicum)
- Enkianthus campanulatus
Abutilon “Boule de Neige” are available for sale form the following nurseries
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.