With brilliant foliage in summer, Aeonium ‘Mardi Gras’ is an eye catching succulent.
Like many succulents, the foliage colour of Aeonium ‘Mardi Gras’ changes with the seasons, and with brilliant colours , ‘Mardi Gras’ certainly creates a festive look in the garden or in a conatiner.
In winter the colour tend to green and black with a touch of red, as summer comes around, the colours turn to orange, green and red. The red of the leaf margins is more intense with more exposure to sun.
Mardi Gras will reach to around 30cm (12 inches) in height
This is a summer dormant plant with the main growth period in winter. It slower growing than most other Aeoniums, however it makes up for this with the riot of colour.
Aeonium ‘Mardi Gras’ – Care and Growing Tips
This is an easy care succulent and reasonably stable in terms of its variation.
- It is easily grown in a well drained soil in the garden or in containers. A specilaist succulent and cactus potting soil is best.
- Choose a position with good sun and some shade in the height of summer in warmer climates.
- Water only when the soil begins to dry.
- Cut back on water during the summer dormancy.
- Repot every 2 – 3 years
- Fertilise when re-potting with a slow release fertiliser and some lime.
- All Aeoniums can be propagated from cuttings
You may also like:
- Botanical Name – Aeonium ‘Mardi Gras’
- Family – Crassulaceae
- Position – Full sun to afternoon shade in hot climates.
- Soil – Well drained
- Height – To around 30 cm (12 inches)
- Width – To around 1 metre (36 inches)
- Foliage – Rosette forming, green with red leaf margins.
- Flowers –
- Frost tolerant – No
- Drought tolerant – Medium