‘Blue Bamboo’ – Himalayan Weeping Bamboo
This bamboo gets its name from the new shoots or culms which are a powdery blue., so ‘Blue Bamboo’.
Now this is a tricky one that seems to have two names for the one plants Himalayacalamus hookerianus or Drepanostachyum falcatum. It is also known as ‘Blue Bamboo’ and ‘Himalayan Weeping Bamboo’, it is a graceful ornamental bamboo growing to 3 – 4 metres depending on conditions.
Himalayan Weeping Bamboo is a small leafed bamboo that does well in cooler climates. Himalayan Weeping Bamboo, Drepanostachyum falcatum or ‘Blue Bamboo’ is originally an understory plant from forested areas and also copes well in a part shaded position.
A clumping bamboo new growth has a blush tinge or bloom to it.
Can be pruned each year to keep in shape. Try seaweed fertiliser to promote growth. Can be grown indoors with adequate lighting.
Blue Bamboo – Summary Information
- Height – Will reach around 3 – 4 metres in height.
- Spread – Clump forming.
- Position – Light shade, this is an understory plant, and prefers light shade.
- Growth rate – slow at first, faster as the plants settle in.
- Container Growing – Yes, well suited to growing in containers.
- Foliage – Green, it is the new culms that are blue.
- Flowers – Very rarely flowers.
- Indoor use – Yes in good filtered light it grows well.
- Pruning – Yes you can prune to height if required.
Blue Bamboo is available from the following participating suppliers
50 Meadowbrook Way Riddells Creek
Specialising in non-invasive & running bamboo
With over 50 varieties of bamboo planted on our property your sure to pick the right bamboo to suit your needs
930 Tamborine - Oxenford Road, Wongawallan. QLD 4210.
Open 9am - 5 pm 7 days a week. Specialist bamboo nursery with numerous species, other sub-tropical plants available. A great day out, with our fantastic rainforest walk, maze, kids tunnel and much, much more!
You may also be interested in: