Gardenia plants are available from selected wholesale growers for both the landscaping industry and to retail nurseries and garden centres. These are an evergreen flowering shrub to ground cover plant with a number of species and cultivars being offered by wholesale growers.
Seen as a tropical to sub tropical plant they will grow in cool to temperate climates and plants sold in these areas are usually more suited to the climate.
Best in a humus rich soil, a warm sunny position and protected from winds, Gardenias are grown for the fragrant flowers as well as the attractive green foliage.
A number of varieties are offered, different flower forms, both singles and doubles are available. Growth habits vary from low growing to taller bushy shrubs.
- Gardenia grandiflora ‘Star’ is a small growing gardenia suitable for cooler climates. Growing to about 1m with a long flowering period (white fragrant flowers) and a dense busy habit this is one of the best Gardenias for cooler climates.
- Gardenia grandiflora is a large growing Gardenia to 2.5m. Semi double highly fragrant flowers
- Gardenia Florida will grow to 2m and has double flowers, opening white and turning yellow.
- Gardenia Radicans is a prostrate form growing only to .5m. Again semi double flowers.
- Gardenia jasminoides (syn Gardenia augusta)
- Well drained humus rich soil.
- Protected position is best, avoid hot afternoon sun in warmer climates. Avoid cold winds in cooler climates.
- A slightly acidic soil is best.
- A specialist gardenia fertiliser is best. A Camellia and Azalea fertiliser will also be suitable.
- The best time to prune is immediately after flowering.
Gardenia Plants are available from the following wholesale growers.
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.
14 Grays Road Doonan, QLD 4562 - Phone 07 5449 1997
Wholesale Nursery - Pandanus, Bamboo, Frangipani, Grasses, Ground Covers, Bromeliads, Trees and Shrubs, Palms, Cycads, Ferns and more . Deliver to QLD, NSW, VIC & SA
14 Gladrose Crescent Wongawallan,QLD 4210
Strappy Leaf Plants, Australian Native Stock, Tropical and Dry Tolerant Plants, Hedging and Ornamentals.
ANTZ PLANTS NURSERY – Phone 07 3807 3571
67 Alberton Road, Alberton Qld 4207
Specialise in plants for landscape and urban environments : Agapanthus, Gazania, Gardenia, Myoporum, Liriope, Dietes, Westringia.
DE VRIES WHOLESALE NURSERIES
45 Wynyard Ave Rossmore NSW 2557
PH/Fax 02 9606 4086
Growers of quality, buxus, gardenia, conifers, murraya, nandina, photinia, daylilies, liriope, lavendar, pigface, diosma, tibouchina, bottlebrush, hebe, agapanthus, natives, exotics, trees and shrubs.
TJ’S WHOLESALE PLANTS
Cranbourne South, Victoria – Phone (03) 97830733