Leucospermum reflexum, provides a brilliant display in the garden, flowers perched on long stems this is a flowering shrub native to South Africa.
Commonly called the Sky rocket pincushion or Yellow tree pincushion, is is a show stopper when in flower.
Description and Characteristics
A medium sized shrub reaching to between 2 and 4m (6-12ft) in height. The actual size will vary depending on growing conditions including the amount of sun and the soil.
It will form a nicely rounded shrub and the upright stems are a strong feature.
Flowers are a deep orange or yellow appearing in spring to summer appearing on long stems.
Foliage is a silvery grey.
Planting Leucospermum reflexum
- Choose a sunny position and a well drained soil. Give the plant enough space to spread.
- Dig the soil over ell adding some compost and aged cow manure.
- Ensure drainage is good.
- Plant and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to help suppress weeds and maintain a cool root run.
- Water regularly through the first summer.
Leucospermum reflexum – Care and growing Conditions
Leucospermum reflexum prefers free-draining, slightly acidic soil.
Add extra drainage material in poorly drained soil or raise the grden bed a little.
Best grown in full sun, light. Choose a position that gets at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day.
Leucospermum reflexum is reasonably drought-tolerant once established, it benefits from extra watering during long dry periods, especially in the growing season. A wet /dry watering cycle is best, water and then let the soil dry before watering again. In winter cut back on watering completely.
A low-phosphorus, organic fertilizer in spring or early summer. Avoid high nitrogen fertiliser if you want good flowering.
Pruning is generally not required unless you wish to shape the bush. Prune back only as far as where there is foliage, pruning back into bare wood is not recommended.
Deadheading after flowering is usually adequate.
- Leucospermum reflexum first became popular for cut flower growing, attractive flowers on long stems are always popular with florists.
- In the garden it is also primarily grown the flowers . Take advantage of the long lasting flowers and prune at the same time….
- Grow it in a container on a patio or in a paved courtyard.
Leucospermum reflexum will also attract birds, bees to the garden when in flower
Leucospermum reflexum Varieties
- Lutea – A Yellow flowering form
- Phantom Red – More red as the name suggests
- Phoenix Rising – An interesting hybrid.
You May Also Like
As with all plants, specific instructions and plant perform once will vary depending on climate, soil and other factors. Your local nursery should be able to provide ice you with specific advice if needed.