Weeping Trees – for the Australian garden
Weeping trees for the garden are usually created by grafting weeping forms of an ornamental species onto stronger upright rootstock. When selecting a weeping tree it is essential to look closely at the graft to ensure it looks strong and clean. Favourite weeping trees include weeping cherry, birch, elm, apricot, apple and weeping mulberry .
Weeping trees are used widely as ornamental feature trees in gardens and include many flowering varieties, including ornamental fruit trees such as weeping cherry trees, weeping apricot and weeping apple however weeping birch trees, elms and others should also be considered for the garden. Weeping Birch, Betula pendula ‘Youngii’ for example is an outstanding weeping tree.
Characteristics of Weeping Trees
If its flowers you are after then for cascades of spring flowers look mainly at the prunus, weeping apricot and cherry. However the Weeping Pink Crabapple ‘Malus ‘Echtermeyer’ is an outstanding form.
Weeping Birch is outstanding, lovely green foliage and of course the Weeping Elm, ‘Ulmus pendula’ with its large textures foliage
The Maples, especially the weeping Japanese Maples, from the purples of ‘Atropurpuream disectum’, to wonderful reds. But also the ginkgo in its weeping form, beautiful butter yellow foliage in autumn
Weeping Trees to consider
- Weeping Mulberry – Morus alba ‘Pendula’. A small weeping deciduous tree to reach a height of around 4m. Attractive glossy foliage and a good weeping habit. Drought tolerant once established.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Sekimori’. Acer dissectums have branches with a naturally weeping habit, and this one will reach 2-3 m
- Acer Palmatum Dissectum Beni Shidare
- Acer Palmatum Dissectum Atropurpureum
- Betula pendula ‘Youngii’ (Youngs Weeping Birch). Usually supplied as a grafted form so the final height will be what you buy. Will be around 2 – 3 m. Lovely green foliage that turns a soft yellow in autumn, an excellent feature tree.
- Prunus Mume – Weeping Apricot. Beautiful fragrant pink flowers carried on bare stems in spring. Will reach around 3m
- Ginkgo Biloba Pendula. A weeping ginkgo
- Taxodiun distichum ‘Cascade Falls’
- Tsuga Canadensis Cole. A low growing (prostrate) conifer that forms a lovely weeping mound, excellent near the rock garden or on a Japanese style garden.
Weeping Trees – Ornamental Weeping Trees
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793