Named after Jekka McVicar, Jekka’s Thyme is a dense low growing variety with great flavour.
Flowering early in the season compared to other thyme varieties, this is a thyme that can be deadheaded with garden shears and it will flower again in summer.
You can grow it in the kitchen garden and harvest the new growth for culinary use. It is low growing and could be used as an edging plant for pathways where the fragrant foliage is brushed against or crushed.
It is a little too tall for growing between pavers where heavy foot traffic occurs.
The pale pink flowers that cover the plant attract bees to the garden, along with the great flavour, just one more benefit of this useful garden plant.
Jekka McVicar is a herb grower or renown in the UK and indeed around the world. Try a search for Jekka’s Herb Farm, or simply
Jekka’s, its well worth a read.
How to Grow Jekka’s Thyme
Full sun and a well drained humus rich soil will provide excellent conditions.
- Plant in spring as the weather warms up or in late summer.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch lightly around the plant.
- Water in summer during long dry periods, however do not allow the soil to become wet and soggy.
- Prune back after flowering to promote a bushy habit and good new growth.
Jekka’s Thyme is available for sale from the following nurseries
Biddles Rd, Apollo Bay VIC 3233