Grow your own Elderflowers
Elderflower (Sambucus nigra) can be grown from seed and is grown mainly for the berries which are used to make wine and cordials as well as for medicinal purposes. The leaves and bark are also said to have uses.
The seeds are difficult to find for sale and usually need to be collected.
How to grow from seeds
If you can find seeds, try the following method as Elderflower seeds have a very hard outer coating and are difficult to germinate.
- Fresh seeds should first be washed and cleaned of any pulp.
- Seeds need then to be treated to a period of cold stratification.
- Seeds can be placed in a ziplock bag mixed in with some vermiculite.
- Place them in a refrigerator for 6 weeks.
- The seeds should then be planted into trays in late winter to spring.
- Use a good quality seed raising mix and cover the seeds with around 1cm of the seed raising mix (1/2 inch)
- Place the trays in a propagating box with some bottom heat.
- Keep moist by mist spraying.
- Once the seeds germinate, harden them off a little and pot up into larger conatianers.
Although parts of the plant have been used in herbal remedies for many years, we suggest you use any part of the plant with caution after consulting your doctor.
As the plant tends to sucker, as well as spread by the many berries it produces the Elderflower plant has its problems. This is another plant best grown in a container to avoid spreading. Try a pot in a semi shaded position and cut back in winter.
Elderflower Growing Information
- Height – To around 3 metres.
- Spread – To 3 metres.
- Position – Full sun to part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Foliage – Mid green and deciduous.
- Flowers – White, followed by small berries.
- Flowering period – Summer
You can buy Elderflower plants from the following suppliers
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order