Grape Hyacinth – Muscari – Grape Hyacinth Bulbs
Muscari are an easy to grow spring flowering bulb best planted in groups. Attractive flowers and good foliage they take up little space and a small clump of these spring flowering bulbs does deserve a position in many gardens.
A fragrant plant with grape like flowers hence the name ‘grape hyacinth’ ranging from white, Muscari botryoides album through to blue, mauve and purple M.armeniacum and M. plumosum.
Note that M. plumosum has a feathery plume of mauve flowers. The two toned M. latifolium is an interesting form with a blue top and purple bottom section to the flower.
Other Muscari varieties to look for.
- Muscari argei – Very attractive white flowers that add a little variety and contrast to the garden. Flowering in late winter.
- Muscari macrocarpum ‘Golden fragrance’ – Golden yellow flowers that look a little different to the normal Muscari flowers. It is perfumed when in flower, a sweet and attractive fragrance.
- Muscari neglectum – Deep blue flowers darkening towards the base of the flower stalk. A vigorous very form.
Well drained soil rich in humus, sunny position, plant bulbs at around 6 – 8cm deep. Muscari will also do well in pots. Feed bulbs after flowering.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained soil.
- Watering – Only required if you receive a very dry spell during active growth.
- Fertiliser – Top dress with blood and bone in winter. Apply a general all purpose bulb fertiliser in spring.
Grape Hyacinth or Muscari species : M.armeniacum, M. Azureum, M. botryoides and others sometimes called ‘Grape Hyacinth’ However it is well worth exploring a little further, look for M. grandifolium, or M.anatolicum for interesting species. Muscari Botryoides Alba is the ‘White Grape Hyacinth’ (pictured above)
Grape Hyacinth Bulbs are available for sale from the following nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
Large variety of Epimediums, Woodland plants and Herbaceous perennials
Mail order or nursery. We do not send to Tasmania or WA
365 Lighthouse Rd Wynyard. TAS 7325
PH 03 6442 2012
email to: email@example.com
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.