Lapeirousia plants and species
Lapeirousia are a group of bulbous plants related to Iris, originally from South Africa many species do very well in rock garden conditions.
A little confusion with this genus with some species being named as Anomatheca.
Although they have very attractive flowers, especially the blue flowering L. corymbosa, this is not a widely grown group of plants, limited to a few collectors in Australia. You will find seeds for sale online and occasionally plants for sale at rare plant fairs.
- Lapeirousia anceps- Pink to cream flowers.
- Anomatheca laxa syn. Lapeirousia cruenta – Some confusion with this species also listed as below.
- Anomatheca laxa or Lapeirousia laxa – Now seeming listed as Fressia laxa.
- Lapeirousia oreogena – This is perhaps one of the most attractive species, iridescent violent purple flowers with cream and black markings in the centre.
- The diminutive Lapeirousia jacquinii – Very small growing, however with fascinating purple flowers on tallish spikes for the size of the plant.
- Lapeirousia sandersonii – Pale mauve flowers.
- Lapeirousia silenoides – Another very attractive species with very bright magenta flowers, cream markings in the centre.
- Lapeirousia divaricata – This is a damp loving species, very pale mauve flowers.
Unfortunatley we have no listed suppliers of Lapeirousia plants and species in Australia