Inula magnifica or ‘elcampagne’ is also known as fleabane. Used as a border plants along with other species including Inula britannica, and Inula graveolens. Some Inula species have been used in herbal medicines.
Grown for its attractive yellow flower some species such as Inula magnifica also work as foliage plants, with the older foliage being large and textured. Tall growing to nearly 2m with masses of yellow flowers in spring held above mid green heart shaped flower Inula magnifica is excellent for the cottage garden.
A few named cultivars are available including Inula magnifica ‘Sonnenstrah’. Reaching nearly 3m in height this is a giant in the perennial border. Foliage to nearly 1m long and again masses of yellow flowers.
I.hookeri with its daisy like flowers is also widely used in cottage gardens.
- I. helenium is commonly called Marchlane, small yellow flowers. Also known as ‘Horse Heal’ where the roots are used.
- I. raemosa is used in Ayurvedic medicine aalso known as ‘Pushkarmool’
- I. magnifica with its large foliage and tall growing habit is useful to add height to the garden border, again with daisy like flowers with very fine petals.
- I. crithmoides grows in coastal areas and is known as golden samphire.
- I. viscosa is known as ‘Sticky fleabane’
- I. hookeri is lower growing than most and makes a good filler plant in the garden border.
Inula grow well in a moist soil and will self seed close to the parent plant. Inula will tolerate dry conditions but do prefer a humus rich deep soil.
Available for sale from the following nurseries
'Umbango' 750 Humula Rd, Humula NSW 2652
Phone 0408692773 Great Range of Perennial plants available for sale by mail order.