An easy care bulb that will grow in tropical areas, Habranthus tubispathus in ling flowering with attractive yellow flowers that turn to ann orange to bronze as they age. The flowers appear from late spring into late summer, and over time the bulbs form good clumps.
Originally from Argentina through to Uruguay and Brazil, the are another species that will often flower just after in, similar to Zephranthes. They require a sunny position and will grow well in containers.
Once established this is a very easy care bulb.
- Plant in a well drained soil in a sunny position.
- Prepare the soil well by digging in aged compost and some cow manure.
- Plant and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Water through long dry periods over the first few summers.
Easy by division of established clumps in winter. Also possible from seed.
- Botanical Name – Habranthus tubispathus
- Common Name – Rain Lily, Rio Grande Copper Lily, Copper Lily
- Family – Amaryllidaceae
- Origin – South America
- Plant Height – To around 15cm
- Plant Spread – Clump forming
- Position – Full sun.
- Soil – Well drained with some moisture, sandy loam to light clay.
- Flowers – Orange to bronze.
- Flowering time – Spring to summer.
- Foliage – Linear in form and mid to deep green
- Frost tolerant – No.
- Drought tolerant – Medium.
Habranthus tubispathus is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
'Sylvan Vale' 375 Olinda Creek Rd, Kalorama, VIC.3766
Including a large range of Rare and unusual bulbs, corms and perennials
442 Russells Road, Pine Mountain Ipswich QLD 4306 - phone: 07 54643976
Pine Mountain Nursery is a mail order plant nursery and also specialises in breeding elite agapanthus, clivia and other warm climate bulbs.