Geum plants (aven) are a perennial cottage garden plant related to potentilla, evergreen and widely spread from New Zealand to Europe with over 50 species.
Geum coccineum are a fast growing plant that is usually easy to care for. Geum ‘ Pink frills’ and ‘Blazing sunset’ are popular cultivars as is the petty low growing cultivar ‘Jess’.
Varieties and species such as Geum rivale are low growing and can be divided in early spring. Many species and cultivars are available for sale online as well as from garden centres.
- Red Robin – Best described as an acre to red flower.
- Tangerine – Brilliant orange flowers on an old cultivar we are lucky to still have available in Australia.
- Mrs Bradshaw – Orange to red flowers.
- Moonlight – Pale lemon yellow flowers
- Geum ‘Borisii’ with brilliant red flowers.
- Geum ‘Norgate’s Flame’
- Geum ‘Red Robin’Geum
Plant Profile and Growing Hints
Geum are a cottage garden or perennial border plant.
- They prefer full sun to part shade and they do not like frost. They grow well in a humus rich moist but well drained soil.
- Plants will spread to form a rounded clump around 50 -70 cm across. Dig in some well rotted compost and blood and bone before planting.
- Water in well with a liquid fertilizer, ‘worm castings tea’ or seaweed fertilizer seems to work well.
- A liitle mulch and perhaps a little slow release fertilizer in spring will aid growth and help keep moist.
- Water well during dry spells. Divide clumps during autumn. In terms of pruning, just a general shaping as required, Geums are a neat little plant.
- Best time to plant geums, early spring.
Geum plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.
Little Hampton, Vic 345
"Mail order nursery specialising in cottage garden perennials, flowering shrubs, Trilliums, Hostas and Pacific Coast Iris. Flat rate express postage - Except WA & TAS"
Large range of Rare, Unusual and Old Fashioned Perennials. Includes Artemisias, Achilleas, Geraniums, Geums, Salvias, Penstemon and Francoa.
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
'Umbango' 750 Humula Rd, Humula NSW 2652
Phone 0408692773 Great Range of Perennial plants available for sale by mail order.
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.