Eucharis grandiflora is commonly called the Amazon Lily, with very attractive large white flowers and mid to deep green foliage this is standout bulb for subtropical to tropical areas.
It grows well in the garden when planted in a humus rich soil in part shade, and is also suited to growing in pots.
In cooler climates this is a bulb that will need some extra care over winter. After flower it will go dormant in cooler areas. This is the time to either lift the bulb to over winter to be stored in a cool dry position over winter and to be planted out in spring as the weather warms up.
You can also grow Eucharis grandiflora in pot and store these in a protected position over winter.
How to Grow Eucharis grandiflora
If you consider that this is build that grow as an understory plant in tropical rainforests you will understand the need to moisture, light shade and warmth.
- In the ground the soil needs to be free draining as well as humus rich.
- Dig in compost and other organic matter before planting.
- The bulb itself should be planted at around 2.5cm (1 Inch) deep.
- Space bulbs at around 12 – 14 cm (5 inches) apart.
- Botanical Name – Eucharis grandiflora
- Common Name – Amazon-Lily
- Family –
- Origins – South America.
- Height – To around .7 metre
- Spread – Clump forming
- Growth rate – Medium.
- Position – Part shade to dappled or filtered light.
- Soil – A well moist drained humus rich.
- Flowers – White
- Flowering Time – Spring to Autumn
- Foliage – Mid to deep green.
- Frost tolerant – No.
- Drought tolerant – No.
Eucharis grandiflora are available for sale from the following nurseries
Australia's finest bamboo display gardens. Non-invasive clumping varieties at competitive prices for screens, windbreaks, garden ornamentals, timber and shoots. Small suburban garden right up to the commercial growers. Can ship to anywhere in Australia. Hervey Bay, QLD. OPEN 7 DAYS