If you are looking at adding some height to the garden then a few of the Asphodelus species are worth considering. These are a tough drought tolerant plant that will flower in spring. All but one species has height as a feature.
The low growing A. acualis is different in appearance, low growing with pink flowers, and we think very attractive.
Asphodelus are a perennial plant originally from Europe. Asphodelus ramosus (syn. A. aestivus) is one to look for, flowers like spikes to 1m. Drought tolerant and tough. An interesting plant when grown in a container, the tall flower spikes will reach well over 1m in height. Large strap like foliage.
- A. aestivus – Tall growing to over 1metre in height. White flowers in spring.
- A. ramosus – Very similar to the above, although sold a a different species in some catalogues.
- A. acualis – Low growing to 25 cm with attractive pink flowers. Flowers are held well down in the foliage.
Propagation is from seed, or by division of larger clumps.
- Height – To 1m plus
- Spread – Upright.
- Soil – Well drained.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Flowers – white to cream.
- Flowering period – spring to summer.
- Drought tolerant – Yes
NB. Some species, such as Asphodelus fistulosus are regarded as weeds.
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.