With its deep purple to nearly black flowers Arum palaestinum is a standout spring flowering plant.
Grown for the near black flowers this is one of the darkest of all of the aroids. It has been known simply as the Black Calla Lily, Solomens Lily and also the Lords and Ladies Plant but whatever the name it is a striking plant when in flower.
Like many other Arum species, this is a hardy easy care bulb, dormant in summer and bursting into flower in spring. It is also frost tolerant.
How to Grow Arum palaestinum
Buy this bulb in summer to winter when it is dormant.
- Choose a position in full sun to a some afternoon shade. More shade in hotter climate zones.
- Plant in a humus rich well drained soil that retains some moisture over summer.
- Best planted away from outdoor living areas as the flowers, although attractive do give off an unpleasant odour especially over the first few days.
- If you have a Goth themed garden this is must have black flowering plant.
- Easy by division of tubers every 3 – 4 years
- Also possible from seed.
- This is plant that can self seed.
- Not regarded as drought tolerant.
- The flowers smell., and not in a good way
Arum palaestinum is available for sale from the following Participating Nurseriess
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.