The George Tindale Memorial Gardens are a 2.4 hectare garden in Sherbooke in Melbourne Dandenong Ranges.
George and Ruth Tindale purchased the property in the late 1950s and set about redevelopment of the garden that was started in 1915.
It was Mr H.R Harper who set out the first paths at the top of the garden and planted the first of the exotic trees amongst the tall Mountain Ash.
Today these tree provide a riot of colour in autumn, clearly visible from the Sherbrooke Rd.
The property was again sold and then purchased by the Tindales.
George and Ruth established the network of paths, named after previous owners and friends. They planted many exotic trees and shrubs and an excellent collection of hydrangea, camellias, Lilium Giganteum and other plants.
Enjoy the Tindale gardens for the plants spend time exploring the criss crossing paths on a leisurely stroll, perhaps take a picnic, the open lawns near the top of the garden are a great place to relax.
George passed away in the late 1970s, Mary carried on gardening until she passed away in 2006. As was Georges wish, the property was donated to the Victorian Conservation Trust and today is managed by Parks Victoria.
A friends of the Tindale Gardens group meets regularly to assist with maintenance and development of the gardens.The Friends group also conducts regular plant sales which includes many Hydrangeas, Tree Dahlias and a range of woodland plants.
33 Sherbrooke Rd, Sherbrooke VIC 3789
OPEN – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm every day except Christmas Day.