If you are looking for a flower that will attract Green Lacewings and other beneficial insects to the garden then Cosmos has to be close to the number one choice.
And why would you want to encourage Lacewings in the Garden?
Green Lacewings are big eaters of small pests, they make a meal of aphids, thrips, scale and other soft bodies insect pests. So in the vegetable garden they are very useful as well as in the ornamental garden.
Lacewings – Information
- Which types of Cosmos are best for attracting Lacewings?
The best colours are white and bright orange, these bright flowers seem to attract them more readily although all are useful.
- How do Lacewings attack other insects ?
The jaws grab the insect and them they suck out the fluids from their prey.
- Where do they lay their eggs?
Usually on the underside of leaves where they are more protected.
- What other flowers attract Lacewings ?
Coreopsis, Yarrow, Queen Anne’s Lace, Marguerite Daisies.
- When are Lacewings most active ?
Usually in the late afternoon,.
- What are some other beneficial insects?
Ladybugs, Hover Flies and Parasitic Wasps are all useful beneficial insects. Ground Beetles can also be useful they feed on slugs and snails.