Cosmos flowers and plants
If you are looking for an annual that adds height to the border Cosmos, with its ferny flowers and large flowers on tall stems could be the one. here we are are talking about, Cosmos bipinnatus which is grown from seed.
This is an annual plant, however beware, as all varieties of Cosmos bipinnatus are not the same. The tall free flowering white variety Cosmos ‘Sensation’ is one of the best white varieties. Slightly lower growing is ‘Purity’ with very attractive white flowers. However if you are looking for lower growing types then Cosmos ‘Sonata White’ is a good alternative.
Cosmos Plant Varieties
A number of pink to red flowering varieties are also available. The cultivars of C. bipinnatus, garden cosmos or Mexican aster range widely in color, look for :
- ‘Picot’ – White flowers margined with pink.
- ‘Purity’ – To around 90 cm in height, white flowers.
- ‘Cupcakes’ with cup shaped flowers come as singles and semi doubles in white and shades of pink.
- ‘Sensation’ have single flowers, they flower early and have fine fern like foliage. Red Sensation’ – Tall to 1 meter in height, deep pink to red flowers. Gloria – Rose Pink, Dazzler – Deep Red Flowers, Daydream – White with pink centres.
- Candy Stripe – White to very pale pink flowers with a deeper pink petal margin which gives the illusion of stripes
- ‘Polidor’ have deeply cut foliage on a bushy plant, great for cut flowers. They come in a range of colours s from white
- ‘Sulphureus’ have yellow flowers as the name suggests.Tall growing to 2 metres. Flowers do vary from the yellow to orange.
- ‘Psyche’ are a large flowering variety that come in a range of colours. Single and semi double frilly or ruffled flowers.
- ‘Versailles’ are early flowering, have strong stems which makes them good for cut flowers, colours range from white to pink and red.
This is a plant that that adds height and interest to the summer garden. Tall stems holding aloft delicate and very attractive flowers make Cosmos a must for any sunny garden. These Cosmos varieties are the annuals, summer flowering and self seeding, although often planted as seedlings each spring.
It is C. bipinnatus that is most commonly grown, commonly called simply ‘Cosmos’ and also known as the ‘Mexican Aster’. Attractive ferny foliage and flowers ranging from white through to pinks and reds.
These are a tall growing plant that can reach 2m in height, however many lower growing or dwarf cultivars are also available.
It should be noted that C. atrosanguineus or ‘Chocolate Cosmos’ is sterile, it does not set seeds, so is only available as tube stock and larger plants.
These are a tall free flowering perennial or annual with feathery foliage daisy-like flowers through summer to autumn.
The White variety (pictured) really adds a lightness to the garden, can be grown from seed and is well worth considering as a foil for darker plants in the border.
We are looking for that warm sunny position and a humus rich soil that retains some moisture, a little protection from the hot afternoon sun can be beneficial. Because of their height these plants make a great plant for the back or any sunny border. Keep moist when planting out seed.
Cosmos plants and seeds are available for sale from the following nurseries
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.