Echium plants and species
Popular Echium plants and species available for sale include Echium candicans, (syn fatuosum) and wildpretii. Some have common names such as ‘Pride of Madeira’ and all are loved for the tall flower spikes.
With over 60 species from areas as diverse as North America and South Africa echiums provide us with a wide range of very useful ornamental plants, and a few invasive weeds as well (echium plantagineum is widely called ‘Pattersons Curse’ in South Australia).
Echiums are stand out plants for the border for a very interesting display, echiums tend to to be to large for all but the biggest planters. Echium pininana is referred to as the ‘Tree Echium’ this one can grow its flower spike to 4m.
Echium wildpretii is from the Canary Islands and will grow to 2-3m. All echiums require a well drained humus rich soil to do their best. It is a good idea to cut off flower spikes before they seed where possible.
Echium candicans is known as ‘Pride of Madeira and grows from 1-2.5m with nice purple flowers spikes. Echiums flower from spring through to summer. Echiums are reasonably drought tolerant and do not like frosts.
In general light pruning to tidy up spent flower heads is about all that is needed. Hard pruning is not recommended as they do not shoot from old wood.
- E. wildpretii – This requires a dry or well drained soil in winter, wonderful crimson flower spikes and silvery green foliage. This is a biennial and will flower in the second season.
- E. candicans – This is the widely grown species with masses of purple flowers from spring through summer. Again a well drained soil and a frost free position.
- E. simplex – A tall species with white flower
- E. pinninana – A giant species also known as Canary Island Viper’s Bugloss, to 4m in height tall flower spikes of a dark blue. Handles moisture more than other species.
- E. fastuosum ‘Duxfield Blue’ – Lower growing with purple to blue flowers.
Echium plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.
Large range of Rare, Unusual and Old Fashioned Perennials. Includes Artemisias, Achilleas, Geraniums, Geums, Salvias, Penstemon and Francoa.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
1070 Jacksons Track, Jindivick 3818
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.