Autumn Flowering Plants – We look at some of the best.
Sometimes Autumn is seem as a time for autumn foliage, autumn flowers can also add to the colour of the garden. We look at some of the best autumn flowering plants.
We start with our list of top ten Autumn Flowering Plants.
- Chrysanthemums are a classic plant for autumn flowers, many garden varieties are easy to grow. Most are best pruned in summer to provide the best flowers in autumn.
- Crocus are another easy plant that flower in autumn. Grow them in containers, in the garden border or naturalise them into the lawn.
- Sasanqua camellias commence flowering early in autumn, different varieties will flower at different times.
- In warmer climates, modern roses will flower well into autumn. It will depend on the variety. Some such as the well know ‘Iceberg’ will flower almost year round.
- Japanese Wind Flowers are another great plant for autumn flowers. These include both Anemone hupehensis and Anemone x hybrida. They come in a variety of colours and heights.
- Abutilons are not strictly an autumn flowering plant. Most will flower year round. However they will be flowering in autumn and come in a number of colours.
- Cyclamen Coum is a very easy care plant for shaded postion, very pretty flowers. It can be allowed to spread through the garden, or grown in containers.
- Nerines with their large spidery flowers come into their own in autumn. A huge variety of colours are available.
- Mona Lavender which is a Plectranthus hybrid is another free flowering plant at this time of the year.
- Salvias, including Salvia leucantha and its many hybrids are another wonderful plant for an autumn display.
More Autumn Flowers.
You could also consider some Australian Native plants that will flower in autumn. These include many Wattles, many Grevilleas as well as Correas and Croweas.
Perennial plants that will flower during Autumn include:
Aster novi-belgii (Michaelmas Daisy), Caryopteris, Sedum (Sedum Autumn Joy) and Solidago or ‘Goldenrod’. Cannas, Fuchsias and Dahlias
Rudbeckia Goldstrum is bright and cheerful late into the season.
Also look for : Echinacea purpurea, Bessara elegans, Mondara, Geraniums, Canna, Helianthus and Rudbeckia
Autumn Bulbs include:
Colchicum, Sternbergia and the Belladonna Lily.
Autumn Crocus include a number of species such as :
Crocus Goulimyi, Crocus Speciosus, Crocus Laevigatus Fontenayi, Crocus Longiflorus, Crocus Pulchellus, Crocus Sativus (Saffron Crocus) and Crocus Nudiflorus.