Syzygium australe are originally from Queensland and cultivars range from small shrubs to large trees.
Syzygium australe ‘Bush Christmas’ is reasonably compact and will reach 3m. ‘Aussie Southern’ will get to 4m as will ‘Big Red’.
Syzygium australe pinnacle is a narrow growing cultivar, excellent for hedges. Syzygium australe are valued for what is regarded as a non invasive root system and making a great hedging plant.
- S. australe ‘Resilience’ – better resistance to Psyllids than most. Reaches around 4m in height.
- S. australe ‘Orange Twist’ – Bright new orange growth on a plant that will be best at around 3m. Masses of white flowers in spring, followed by trademark purple berries.
- S. australe ‘Hinterland Gold’ – Larger growing to around 6m in height, golden coppery new growth in spring.
- S. australe ‘Pinnacle’ – A more upright growth habit as the name suggests, will reach around 6m in height with a narrow spread to 3m depending on conditions.
- S. australe ‘Opal Maze’ – Another compact form to around 3m in height. Nice rounded growth habit. Smaller foliage lends itself more readily to pruning than some others.
Hedging plant or for screening around dining and outdoor entertaining areas. Background plant in the garden border or as a windbreak.
A well drained humus rich soil and a sunny position will provide best growth rate.
- Full sun to part shade
- Fertilise with a native plant fertiliser in spring
- Mulch around plants to maintain a cool root run.
SYZYGIUM SPECIES and COMMON NAMES
- Syzygium australe Brush Cherry
- Syzygium australe Select Brush cherry Select
- Syzygium australe aussie compact
- Syzygium australe southern
- Syzygium australe hinterland gold
- Syzygium australeaussie southern
- Syzygium australe bush christmas
- Syzygium australe boomer
- Syzygium australe elegance
- Syzygium australe elite
- Syzygium australe pinnacle
- Syzygium australe resilience
- Syzygium francisii Giant Water Gum
- Syzygium hemilamprum Broad-leaved Lilly Pilly
- Syzygium hodgkinsoniae Red Lilly Pilly
- Syzygium ingens Red Apple
- Syzygium moorei Durobby or Coolamon
- Syzygium oleosum Blue Lilly Pilly
- Syzygium paniculatum Magenta cherry
- Syzygium smithii Common Lilly Pilly
- Syzygium smithii var. minor Small-leaved Lilly Pilly
- Syzygium wilsonii Powder Puff Lilly Pilly
FOR NURSERIES SPECILAIZING IN SYZYGIUM SPECIES SEE OUT LILLY PILLY PAGE
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
14 Grays Road Doonan, QLD 4562 - Phone 07 5449 1997
Wholesale Nursery - Pandanus, Bamboo, Frangipani, Grasses, Ground Covers, Bromeliads, Trees and Shrubs, Palms, Cycads, Ferns and more . Deliver to QLD, NSW, VIC & SA
2505 Westernport Road, Ripplebrook, Victoria
The largest range of deciduous and evergreen advanced trees from 1-12 metres with over 100,000 trees to select from. SpringRing® grown trees from 25 litre to 1000 litre as well as field grown specimen trees and mature palms. Australia-wide delivery