Evergreen screening trees are a fantastic way of providing privacy and protection from wind and sun.
They are used widely to provide privacy screens as well as windbreaks. They can provide relief from the hot sun in summer as well as providing a background for other shrubs through the year, some have foliage, bark and flowers that can be an added attraction.
Screening plants and trees vary greatly in growth habit., some with upright columnar habit, others with a broader spreading habit.
Why Plant Screening Trees
Privacy from neighbours and the street are the number one reason for planting screening trees, however other reasons abound.
- Screening trees can provide a a great visual from your house or patio. A wall of green looks better than most fences.
- Careful planted you can create a micro climate that is protected from winds and retains warmth, allowing you to grow plants from different climate zones.
- Dense growing plants can also help block noise from both neighbours and road traffic.
- A green screen also acts as natures air conditioner, cooling the environment on hot days and moderating temperature on cold days.
- Native screening plants can provide a habitat for small native birds, abound in any garden.
Choosing the right screening plants
- When choosing screening trees consider the eventual height/width and density of the screen.
- Foliage and flowering habits also vary greatly from tree to tree. Conifers for example have very insignificant flowers, while magnolia grandiflora cultivars make great flowering evergreen screens.
- Pruning and maintenance of evergreen trees are other factors to consider.
Trees need to be selected with climate in mind. Growers supply plants that will be successful in Melbourne and Adelaide that may not be suited to Sydney.
Evergreen Trees for landscaping and screening in tropical and subtropical area such as Brisbane and Darwin will be different species and cultivars in most cases.
Our Top 10 popular and useful Evergreen Tree Varieties
Some ideas for quick dense screening trees include :
- Pittosporum ‘Screen Master’
- Lily Pilly Varieties – Backyard Bliss is one of the best.
- Photinia glabra ‘Rubra’
- Clumping bamboo
- Pittosporum ‘Green Pillar’.
- Magnolia grandiflora
- Magnolia Starbright – A Michelia doltsopa, Yunanansis hybrid,
- Cherry Laurel
- Ficus microcarpa hillii Hills Weeping Fig
WHOLESALE EVERGREEN SCREENING TREES
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
Carey Gully, Adelaide Hills.
Family business selling a large range of deciduous trees in pots 1-4m high. Crepe myrtle specialist. Includes Ornamental pears & plums, Red maples, Japanese maples, Gingko, Cercis, Ash, Birch, Crab apples, Weeping cherries, Gleditsia, Liquidambar and more. Hedging plants, evergreen trees & fruit trees.
1075A Western Port Hwy VIC 3910 - email email@example.com
Plantmark is one of Australia's largest wholesale trade nurseries. With over 30,000 species available, from tubestock to advanced trees, we offer an almost unlimited choice of quality plants. - www.plantmark.com.au
1750 Westernport Rd Heath Hill VIC 3981
Australias largest grower of semi advanced native and deciduous trees. .9 - 2.6mts high. Supplying councils, developers and landscapers. Includes Acacia implexa, acacia melanoxlylon.
923 Romsey Rd Heskett VIC 3442 Ph 03 54 270463 fax 03 54 27077 email firstname.lastname@example.org Growers of advanced deciduous trees using the rocket pot system. Contract growing available. Phone for a seasonal catalogue.
PH (07) 3209 8111 Fax (07) 3209 8044 email email@example.com
NEWTON CONTAINER TREES
569 Rochedale Rd Rochdale QLD PH (07) 38412112 Fax (07) 33416510 email firstname.lastname@example.org Specialist growers of trees and screening plants grown in 25, 45 100 and 200 litre containers from 1 -4 metres in height.
ALL GREEN NURSERY
130 Old Geelong Rd Hoppers Crossing VIC 3029 phone: 03 9749 1688 fax: 03 9749 5135 Wide range of wholesale plants including: Grasses, Designer Plants,Trees and Shrubs, Native Plants, Screening Plants, Hedges, Succulents and Ground Covers
1060 Wellington Rd Narre Warren East Vic 3804 Ph 03 9796 8308 Fax 03 9756 8222 Suppliers of advanced evergreens to the landscaping industry. Growers of natives, exotics and a select range of deciduous trees to 4m. Contract growing to client specifications.
ESTABLISHED TREE TRANSPLANTERS P/Ltd
PO Box 348 Boronia VIC 3155 Ph 03 59644240 e-mail email@example.com Growers of deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees 2.5 – 12 metres tall. Containerised and balled & burlaped. Native trees containerised only. Transplanting service available.
(03) 9756 6105 Deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs. Flowering, Fruiting and Ornamental. Bare root and containerised 20cm to advanced. Strictly wholesale.