Laurelia sempervirens is an evergreen tree from Chile also known as the Chilean Laurel or Peruvian Nutmeg, that has scented foliage and makes a suitable ornamental tree for a sheltered position.
It will eventually reach around 10 – 15m in height depending on conditions. It features lance shaped serrated foliage with small pale yellow flowers in spring followed by small green fruit.
A humus rich moist soil and a position protected from frost are essential. Both the flowers and the bark are traditionally used for medicinal purposes.
With a medium growth rate Laurelia sempervirens makes an interesting addition to the garden for those with a passion for the far and interesting plants of the world.
- Height – To 20m
- Foliage – Glossy green. broad leafed with serrated edges.
- Position – Full sun to part shade, with protection from cold winds in cooler climates.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some added lime.
- Flowers – Small white to green/yellow.
- Fruit – Small green to yellow.
- Growth rate – slow to medium.
Laurelia sempervirens Care
- Moist to wet soil is essential.
- Filtered light.